Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday 3 December 2020

The Marie Agenon samplers

Marie Agenon 1888


I got a special request in early spring to chart a faithful replica of my two Marie Agenon samplers, I have already a design available made from the best elements from both samplers, but it seems that many sampler enthusiast want exact copies with all the small flaws and misalignment intact.

To be completely honest I don’t think I have ever spent so much time charting a sampler as I spent on the one from 1899, usually I use my software to copy repetitive patterns but this time I wanted to get all the little flaws charted exactly as Marie had stitched so I had to manually click every single stitch into my program. It took time but also me feel like I was connecting with the stitcher in a way I don’t usually do when I work faster.

I do wonder though:

1 - Why is the newer sampler more flawed than the first?

2 - Why didn’t Marie correct her mistakes?

3 - Why did she copy the same alphabets and motifs from her earlier sampler

And most of all, who was Marie and was her life like? Did she have any children and is there a relative of her somewhere in France who could tell me more about her, perhaps someone who has a photograph? 

 

The patterns are available here: 

 ETSY:

Website:
 

Front and back of sampler

Details - Note the different threads used and how the flower and motif 'clash' together.    
Marie Agenon sampler 1899

Front and back of the second sampler


No comments:

Post a Comment