Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 19 May 2019

Antique embroidery notebook - Dated 1906


I like everyday objects, items that tell a story ! And this is why I’m often just as thrilled to add to my collection odds-&-ends of no value, as I am to find a rare or more costly piece.

This time I want to show you a little notebook I found for just about nothing on an online auction, it’s simple and has no fancy patterns, but I love how it gives a little peak into the ideas and projects a girl (or lady) was working on sometime in 1906.

I still find it hard to call items from the early 20th century antiques as I feel it was just yesterday, but technically antiques are items that are over 100 years  old – so this notebook is officially an antique as it is 113 years old. 

It’s a German notebook with square grid pages, and held together with a sewed string – no staples. Inside someone tried out ideas, and drew counted patterns in pencil and colored crayons. The name Minna and Margret are done in pretty lettering, along with the family name Hövermann. 

I found a Minna Hövermann (1871-1922) who could fit the date, but she seemed to have lived in in Illinois (USA). I don’t know if that was the owner of the notebook, but could be if she had immigrated to the US ? I always love a little detective work, but it would be so much easier if people would have remembered to date, and sign all papers, works of art, sketches, notebooks, needlework piece and so on. 

I don't speak German, so if someone could translate for me what is writen on the front and back of the notebook I would be really interested to know what it says.


Antique German notebook











A little Assisi pattern or a swirl and dragon







That's it...

The back of the notebook

I can't read German, but I figure it means 'Printed in Stuttgart'.

No comments:

Post a Comment