Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 14 July 2024

Mud season - Pattern review


After a failed knitting project (too big, too loose) I decided that I needed to build up my self-confidence again by knitting a simple, straight forward and fail proof design. One of my favorite designers is Elizabeth Smith. Her patterns are not only very well written, but she also offers a lot of support in the form of tips and tutorials. I had seen a pattern on her Instagram page that looked interesting and settled on giving it a try.

I felt a little wasteful after I had to give-up on my last project, but not wanting to knit with acrylic I did buy 100% wool yarn, but from a more ‘affordable’ brand. 

 

Arctic Fritidsgarn by Trysil for the Europris was quite nice to work with, no issues with knots or cuts in the yarn, good tension, and as a bonus, Europris members get discounts on wool, so overall a good experience. How it will hold out in the long run is yet to be seen and I will update this blog post once I have worn the sweater for a certain amount of time. 

 

I used less than four months to knit the sweater, but since I don’t knit every day, it is a little hard to say exactly how long it took. The pattern was very easy to follow, and the only thing I did differently was that I used a half size smaller knitting needles then the ones recommended. 5.5 mm for the 6 mm, and 5.00 mm for the 5.5 mm. I knitted the sweater with the waist shaping and despite having bought enough wool for long sleeves, I ended up knitting the short sleeve version.

 

I knitted the sweater in size medium, used about 8 balls of yarn, in the color taupe – 117




All that was left from the 8 balls of yarn





The fit: 

The sweater is compact, warm, and comfortable. The waist shaping is nice, but not mandatory for a successful fit. The short sleeves on such a chunky sweater are an interesting feature, but I think it might make the sweater more practical. I freeze easily in the winter, but I am also very active and long sleeves do get in my way.  The fact that it was easy and affordable to knit means that I can use it with a good conscience both at work (I work in a school) and around the house while doing chores. 

 

 

#mudseasonsweater

#elizabethsmithknits

 

 

 

The pattern is free and available on Ravelry here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mud-season

Tip page: https://elizabethsmithknits.com/mudseason-tips/

Follow me on Ravelry here: https://www.ravelry.com/people/virginielykins

 

 

With the leftover wool I knitted a matching headband.

Pattern here:  https://roland-designs.blogspot.com/2020/12/easy-cable-headband-free-pattern.html

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment