Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday 12 January 2017

'The saints sweet home', antique sampler




I would like to share with you a recent addition to my (ever growing) collection of antique samplers. This one is very fragile, with the rough linen just about threadbare in places. It feature predominantly the Hymn by David Denham  (1791-1841)

Above is a simple alphabet, upper/lower cases and numerals, and a little man who is holding a shepherds staff.

On the lower part of the sampler are traditional motifs, fruit baskets, flowers in a vase, lions, deer and birds. 

The sampler is not dated, nor signed but dates most certainly from the middle of the 1800’s. The work is not particularly neat, the cross stitch point in every direction, but I doubt it was worked by a young child due to the very fine cross stitch done over one thread for the words of the hymn.

The saints sweet home


Mid scenes of confusion and creature complaints

How sweet to my soul is communion with saints

To find at the banquet of mercy there room

And feel with the presence of Jesus at Home



Sweet bonds that unite all the children of peace

And thrice precious Jesus whose love cannot cease

Though oft from thy presence in sadness I roam

I long to behold thee in glory at home



I sigh from this body of sin to be free

Which hinders my joy and communion with thee

Though now my temptations like billows may foam

All will be peace when I’m with thee at Home



While here in the valley of conflict I stay

Oh give me submission and strength as my day

In all my afflictions to thee would I come

Rejoicing in hope of my glorious Home



Whate’er thou deniest, O give me thy grace

The spirits sure witness and smiles of thy face

Indulge me with patience to wait at thy throne

And find even now a sweet foretaste of home



I long dearest Lord in thy beauties to shine

No more as an exile in sorrow to pine

And in thy fair image arise from the tomb

With glorified millions to praise thee at Home


Details of the shepherd
Classic sampler motifs
A little lion
The Hymn is stitched over 1 thread

No comments:

Post a Comment