Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 11 August 2019

Birthplace of Joan of Arc

Birth place of Joan of Arc

Joan of Arc was born on January 6, 1412 in Domrémy-la-Pucelle.


In 1431, at 19 years of age she was burned at the stake as a heretic


In 1920 she was canonized as a Catholic saint.




I must have been about 18 years old when I first passed by the birth house of Joan of Arc, however only very briefly. I had always wanted to return, but never found myself in that area again until this summer when we were returning from visiting family and decided to do a little detour to visit Domrémy. Unfortunately I once again only had a short time as we had a rental car due to be returned and  were already running late….. Lesson learned, don’t short book yourself and start late when using a rental!

It had changed from what I remembered in that there is a modern building with a gift shop, and museum near the house. The house itself is very simple as it was stripped bare of all but the four walls, fire places and roof with a small garden surrounding it. It being a place of such importance in French and catholic history I personally feel it should be free to visit, I think Jeanne would have preferred it that way.

So here are a few photos taken inside the house, and a visit to Domrémy with time to spare will remain on my ‘To-visit’ list.

Birth room
Copy of a statue of oan of Arc donated by king Louis-Philippe in 1843



The brothers bedroom

Store room



Door to the store room in the forefront

Bedroom shared by Joan and her sister

Garden view from the front door

Basilica of Domrémy-la-Pucelle

Beautiful view of the surrounding country side

With my daughter Rosaline and niece


No comments:

Post a Comment