Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 23 September 2018

La mode illustrée - 8 March 1868

I have a stack of old French ladies weeklies from the late 1800’s, and much like modern magazines they include stories to be continued, recipes, household tips , fashion guidelines, and craft projects.

If I had more time on my hands I would go through them meticulously and re-chart  all the patterns, then try out the designs and recipes. But, alas I do not think I will ever have that kind of extra time even if I lived to be a hundred years old! But, I can try to chart the most interesting patterns and share them with you. 

In the issue for the 8th of March 1868 there was a beautiful Angel's trumpet posy originally designed to decorate a small table top screen, as well as a decorative cross intended for a priest's chasuble.

These are available in a combined PDF both on etsy and the website.

I did try out a simple cookie recipe from that particular magazine, which you can find here: Cookie recipe from 1868


La mode illustrée - 8 March 1868

Needlepoint cross design for a chasuble
Angel's trumpet posy

1 comment:

  1. These look ace. They are in really good condition for their age. :D

    ReplyDelete