Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday 14 January 2016

Charting a Berlin woolwork pattern + news.


Re-charting 'Lust garden'

This is certainly the biggest re-charting project I have done so far.

'Lust garden ', is a very large antique woolwork pattern. It's hand painted, has a plenty of details and a lot’s of colors. It's a pleasure to re-chart, but taking a lot longer than anticipated.

The colors are vivid and there is little damage, but alas ! The artist who painted it 100 or more years ago did not stick to the lines…. The colors overlap and it’s proving a challenge to make sense of it in some places…..

Here you can see the progress I did in about 4 ½ hour of charting.  

Here is how much I managed to chart in about 41/2 hours, the little color blocks in the middle are for reference.

Look closely at the area in the circle, you will notice how colors are overlaped.... in such a case I need to decide on which color is the most important to keep, and which to drop- but sometime it gets a little confusing and I have to go back and try a different combination. My goal is to stay as true as a possible to the original chart, but there are time I need to take some artistic liberties.

.................................................................................. 


Thank you Orysia for the lovely birthday card.

 My Friend Orysia makes lovely knitted items and cards, you can check out her Folksy shop here: https://folksy.com/shops/Kniterella2


The garden at rest under a layer of snow....... and little cat footsteps....

Moumousse, the only cat who ventures out these days. When it's over -10 outside, the older cats prefer staying indoor.

1 comment:

  1. That will be a beautiful cross-stitch project. So much detail!
    I like the look on Moumousse's face. "I want out now."

    ReplyDelete