Roland-designs , Virginie's blog.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, 1 November 2014

Artist portrait - David P.McLean





Name, age ?

David P. McLean, age 47

- Languages you speak, education,
Speak English and graduate of the University of New Brunswick, Bachelor of Arts Degree, graduate of Ashworth College, Jewelry Design and Repair Diploma

- Where did you grow up?
I grew up in a small town, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada pop. 5,000 on the border with the State of Maine, USA.

- Where do you live/work now?
I live and work in Quispamsis, NB, Canada. In addition to owning a small business as a Craftsman, I also work part-time as a Retail Sales Associate in a Government owned Liquor Store.

- A little something about your family/children/pets.
I have been married for over 20 years to my sole-mate, Angela.

- What is your job, or is being an artist your sole occupation?
As noted above, I work part-time now as a Retail Sales Associate in Liquor Store.  I am also a retired Probation/Parole Officer.  Retired early due to burnout, PTSD.

 - Who, what, where, when did you learn your craft?
I learned the theoretical part of jewelry design by taking a course from Ashworth College in Jewelry Design.  I taught myself the art of coin ring making, experimenting and giving away my rings to family and friends until I got it all figured out! LOL!

- Who taught/ inspired you?
Self-Taught

- What inspires you?
I read a book on vacation 4 years ago while vacationing in Cayo Coco, Cuba called Shop Craft as Soulcraft, by Matthew B. Crawford. His book was very inspirational and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to make a change in their professional career that may not be satisfying to them.
The history of currency and the intricate designs that old coins have are simply amazing to me.

- How did you get started selling on ETSY ?
  I got started on Etsy over 3 years ago as a website that I had did not get much traffic.
  It’s hard to get noticed out there and Etsy provides the traffic and platform for me sell my rings.

- Tell us about your craft, what are your favorite items, how you make them, the inspiration behind them?
I love making rings out of high grade silver coins.  Although they appear to be very solid, they are not, many tiny fissures in them and from circulation get damaged quite often.  However, they are malleable and thus a real pleasure to shape.

- Where do you see yourself in the future?
On Etsy I believe selling my rings and possibly expanding into other coin jewelry designs that are yet to be dreamed up or discovered by me.

- Any tips for other artist who wants to sell on ETSY?
Selling on Etsy is very challenging as there are many Shops to compete with.  Find a niche market, participate in forums on Etsy and provide excellent customer service!

- What are your dreams/goals as an artist/crafter ?
My goal is to provide one of a kind and unique coin rings only made with hand tools to as many people as possible.  One day I will not be on this earth, but my rings will hopefully continue on the hands of others for a long time and that they can cherish the ring as something that was creates and molded by a human using only their hands and rudimentary tools.

- Do you have a blog, twitter, fan page, etc… that you want to share the link to
I am on Twitter and can be reached at David P. McLean @GlobalCoinRings

- Do you sell your items outside of ETSY ?
Yes my rings are featured in a Boutique called Aces in the city of Al, Khubar, Saudi Arabia.  I also have presence in the Japanese online market place with a friend who lives in Australia and is of Japanese descent.  He represents me and is on Commission in the Japanese online market……Ta (Australian slang for Thank you), Mika!

- Which is your favorite item?
I cannot really say which coin ring is my favorite.  They are all special.

- Any item with a special story behind it?
I once made a ring from a Turkish bronze coin that had been salvaged from the shore of the Bosporus, Turkey that was pitted from salt water exposure. The coin was still readable and it turned out to be an incredibly unique piece.

- Find David's collection of coin rings here :   www.etsy.com/shop/GlobalCoinJewelry


Chunky French Silver Coin Ring 1931 Ten Francs - Ring Size 11 and Double Sided
https://www.etsy.com/listing/203462167/chunky-french-silver-coin-ring-1931-ten?ref=shop_home_feat_3
Bronze Coin Ring 1940 India - British 1/4 Anna - Ring Size 8 1/2 and Double Sided
https://www.etsy.com/listing/208241642/bronze-coin-ring-1940-india-british-14?ref=shop_home_active_13


1 comment: